Sunday, November 18, 2007

Adolecent Rights of Passage

It was Sunday. That didn’t mean anything particularly special in my family, but I decided I wanted to go to church, alone again, on this particular one. Good thing too. It opened up the gates for one of the adulthood rights of passage...
My First Boyfriend.
I had said I was “going out” with this boy, Calvin, the year before. in middle school, but that only lasted 24 hours Then I broke up with him. It was the only thing I said to him while we were “together”. So I don’t really count him.
Fast forward to year 14 of my life on this fine Sunday. Kenny and I kept making eyes at each other during the lesson. Poor Sunday school teacher, I mean - Really! Finally after a few weeks of this. We got each others phone numbers and he started visiting my house. We’d hang out downstairs. He ate dinner with us a few times. We would go on bike rides. All this lead to more passage of innocence...
The First Kiss.
I don’t remember much more than standing at my front porch. It was evening and we’d been hanging out or doing what ever it was we did. Probably another bike ride. I remember those being common. Then, he did it. Just kinda’ went in for the kill.
It wasn’t a nice peck or anything, it was the full blown, open mouth, adult kiss. Luckily it wasn’t too wet or sloppy. (We were probably dehydrated from all that biking.) It was kinda’ minty. From gum or whatever.
That’s all.
Soon I got rid of Kenny for Josh. Kenny’s was fine. We went our separate ways, we weren’t really in the same “click”. No hard feelings.
Josh made me smile. That is for about 3 months, then he made me cry. It wasn’t a good break up. But then again, it wasn’t a good relationship either.
I guess we were all just helping each other grow up a little.

2 comments:

dishes and laundry said...

Loved this post! I don't know...I don't think you gave Calvin enough time. Things really could have blossomed in the 25th hour.

"dehydrated from all that biking" - laughed out loud!

I didn't have my first kiss until I was 18! I was scared to death - even though it was a very respectful, nice kiss. After that, I was a kissing fool! It's a good thing I didn't start any earlier.

It"s me said...

My first kiss was full blown make out. It was kind of akward because the other couple we went out on a date with were totally macking and so it was like.. Ok why not? And we never even got together. In fact like Wendy said... I turned into a kissing fool! And I really only got "together" with 2 out of the many boys I kissed. One of which I married.