Tuesday, December 25, 2007

The Gifts of Life

This year Velo’s oldest sister had a wonderful idea for parent gifts.
Each child gave some presents that were sentimental. It sounded nice, but buying the people that brought you into this world and sacrificed nearly everything to rear you a gift that shows the gratitude you’ve developed for them is actually a rather daunting task.

Appearances are important to me, so each gift HAD to be wrapped. I knew this was the kind of thing a parent would treasure forever, so I also HAD to type up the explanations for keepsake. On each wrapped gift we put the “memory” or reason for the gift with the final explanation inside.
Here’s how it turned out...

Velo being the oldest went first. He recapped what we’d written for the outside, then let Mom and/or Dad read them out loud and open the present with the “punchline” inside.
We got them a c.d. of Cars music and a Willow Tree ornament to represent all the Lake Powell family trips.
Then there were cookie mixes. Sentimental of Mom’s goodness she often serves up. Chocolate covered sunflower seeds for all the lessons Dad “planted” in his son (like not falling asleep while driving).
Finally there were tie tack/pins shaped like sport balls that said CTR on them. These were for the lessons taught to Velo by these wonderful parents. Some, like the sports, didn’t stick, but some, like Choosing the Right, did.

We followed with oldest to youngest. Our next sister gave, an itunes gift card for all the music brought into the home, a plush fish for all the fishing trips and bonding times, a unpicker for her mothers help in doing things -especially sewing- right. Finally she gave a sack of apples to resemble all the learning they had given and supported their children in. That one made me tear up. They do have two with Masters, one with a Bachelors, and one with enough credits at 20 to get an Associates.

Next sister gave them Smoothy mix for when they lived there and spilt it all over (and all the good food Mom makes). There was an itunes gift card for how much Dad loves his music. And the big tear jerker, her medal for one of her races. See, she is an amazing runner and has had great support from her “number one fan”-Dad.

Finally littlest sister got to go. She told about the family’s traditions of food and how she loved to eat Lobster on Valentines. So they got a Red Lobster gift card. So clever.

It was amazing. It was super fun to hear the memories, see what had impressed people and how creative everyone had been able to be. It was especially fun to find that everyone thought of itunes gift cards for Dad. Too bad, and yet good thing we didn’t all follow through on that one. Music was another big one. People remember the music around the home. Support was the other theme.
It’s no wonder these two amazing people were able to attend the sealings of all their children and that everyone still loves to come home.

Can you think of anything you’d give your parents?

3 comments:

It"s me said...

Some pink Extra... We always took family trips to Cali and always had a fresh stack of gum. OH the memories of singing, trow up, and sights....

A box of kleenex because my mom and daddy have been there to see me through just about everything.

A measuring cup... for all the times I spent with my mom in the kitchen. For all she taught me there.. not just about cooking and homemade bread... but about life. For all the stories I learned about my mom's life and all smells of warm comforting food that she was always baking.

A Book... (any book) for the knowledge my parents gave us (my brothers all have bachelors degrees and me too). And for all the times my dad would read to us. He would read to us some out of his favorite stories. I can still remember being curled up on the couch listening to him read and just feeling so content with my life. Also for the love of books my parents gave me. I really appreciate the company of a good book and a quiet house.

I just feel so grateful for them.

dishes and laundry said...

This made me cry!!!! Seriously! What a wonderful idea. Excellent post!

I would get my Mom things for her kitchen - for all the wonderful meals she made and for the cooking skills she taught me. For my Dad I would get an ice scraper. He's a man of few words - not a huggy kind of man at all. I had broken up with my boyfriend and while he never talked to me about it, I remember that he scraped the ice and snow off my car for me - an act of service to show that he cared.

I would also stay active in the church always - this would be the greatest gift I could give my parents - and to teach my kids the Gospel.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Dieta, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://dieta-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.